Am I saved?
Most of us believe in something or someone. But have you ever wondered… “Am I saved”? You might be a christian, or you might think of yourself as a christian , but are you saved? Are you going to heaven?
About 85% of people in America today identify themselves as “Christians”. But do they want to hear the truth when it comes to knowing if they are truly saved? Most don’t because they are afraid of the truth rattling up their false hope that they are going to heaven.
Maybe just like many other people, you have once believed onto Jesus because you were told that is what you had to do to go to heaven. Maybe you’ve even raised your hand when asked if you wanted to be saved. But how do you know that you were truly saved?
“Am I saved” is a question that has bothered me a while….Maybe it has been bugging you too? After all, this is the most important question and you do want it answered as it will save your life!
How do we get saved?
Scripture tells us that “by grace we have been saved, through faith”. Key words here are through faith and by grace, meaning through believing that Jesus is the Son of God. Believing hat He died for your sins, and that He rose again on the third day. And He did all of that because of His grace towards you. Grace is God not giving you what you deserved as a human; He could have destroyed you but instead He chose to be the sacrifice for you.
So if you BELIEVE in the Lord Jesus, the bible says you will be saved. (Acts 16:31). “Anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved”. (Acts 2:21) The bible also says that we are to “confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord” as well as believe it in our hearts.
But How do we know that we BELIEVE?
You can not just “believe” once and then continue to serve your “convenient” God, that lets you do anything your human, wicked heart desires. This is why scripture tells us to examine ourselves.
Are you living everyday in sin without remorse or are you continually repenting? Do you continue to “believe” today or did you just believe that one time the pastor asked you to raise your hand in church and then forgot all about it? Was your believing a decision to follow Jesus for the rest of your life? or was it a one time act because all your friends seemed to have “believed” too?
Examine yourself in light of Scripture.
In Philippians 1:6 we read that “He who began a good work in you will bring it onto completion”. That work that is being mentioned here is the work Christ did in your heart when you believed onto Him. Is He still doing that work in your heart? Or is His presence not even evident in your life? Does He go after you when you’ve sinned and discipline you? Does He pursue your heart when it is being disobedient to Him?
If you were to examine yourself against scripture, do you think you would be found Holy and separated from this world? Would there be an evident fruit of continued repentance in your life? (Luke 3:8). These are some of the questions you need to be asking yourself if you want to answer the question “Am I saved?”.
Test yourselves with the following test:
Warning: THIS IS THE TRUTH. GODS TRUTH. I DID NOT DESIGN THESE STEPS. THEY ARE IN THE WORD OF GOD. THIS TRUTH EXISTS TO CUT THROUGH YOUR HEART AND MIND AND TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO A NEW LIFE THAT IS FULL OF JOY AND FREEDOM.
* If you fall short of this test, REPENT. And do not lose hope because our Father is a gracious Father and He will forgive you. It is not too late to turn your life towards Christ today! “He is able to save completely those who come to God through Jesus!”. (Hebrews 7:25).
(The “Am I Saved” Test: Read 1st John 1:5-10, and 2nd John 3-6,9-11, 15-17, 22-23).
This test works best if you examine yourself in the privacy of your secret life that no one knows or sees. Examine the person inside of you, the one that is only evident to you, not your friends or your parents. Who are you really? Examine that person.
How to answer the question “Am I saved” – through scripture:
- What is you style of life like? Is it contradicting to the character and nature of God? “God is light and there is no darkness in Him. If we claim to have fellowship with Him”, meaning if we claim we are saved and are walking with the Lord, “but are walking in darkness, we lie”. (1st John 1:5-6)
- Do you continually repent? Does sin bother you? Do you feel the need to repent your sin? Do you feel you need Gods forgiveness? Does your sin weigh on you and does it make you weep? “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the Truth is not in us”. (1st John 1:8-10)
- Do you keep His commandments? Do you tremble at His word? Or do you avoid His word because you are afraid it will point out your wrongdoings? “those who say I know Him but do not do what He commands are liars”. (1st John 2: 3-5)
Are you like Jesus or like this world?
- Do you walk like Jesus walked? Meaning do you live like He did? Humbly, obedient to the Father? Do you desire to be more like Jesus everyday? Or do you desire to be like the world? Dress like the world, talk like the world, live like the world? “Whoever claims to live in Him must walk like Jesus did”. (1st John 2:6).
- Do you love people? Do you love other believers? Is that love a practical love? as in going out of your way to help someone, even if it disrupts your own plans. Would you help someone in need even if it was an inconvenience to you? Would you risk your life or give your life for a fellow believer? “Those who claim to be in the light but do not love a fellow believer are still in the darkness”. (1st John 2:9)
- Do you love the world? Are you ok with things like “the cravings of sinful people, the lust of eyes?” (1st John 2:15-17) Or do you strive to do the will of God?
- Do you profess Jesus Christ as the Messiah? Do you believe that He is the Son of the One True God that was sent as a sacrifice for your sin? Is Jesus professed as your Lord and Savior? Or do you deny Him? Does the way you live deny the Lordship of Jesus in your life? “Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Messiah. No one who denies the Son, has the Father; whomever acknowledges the Son, has the Father also.” (1st John 2:22-23)
So, are you now wondering even more…”Am I Saved”?
Do you practice righteousness or are you practicing lawlessness? Do you live as if God never gave a law?
Weather you passed this test or not, it is between you and God. If today you find yourself flunking badly, do not lose hope. But turn to Christ right now. You’ve got nothing to lose by letting Him Lordship over your life; but you will gain everything! “And this is what HE promised us-ETERNAL LIFE” if today you are choosing Jesus. (1st John 2:25).
Chose eternal life instead of this world and all it’s lusts and darkness.
If you want to believe in Jesus and want to know more about Him and what He has done for you read my post titled “Jesus Christ“.